Sunday, January 08, 2006

Love Comes and Goes

I am sitting on the front stoop watching Chas and Alex throw the frisbee to each other. The frisbee is thrown into the the bushes near me. Chas makes his way through the bushes to retrieve the frisbee. He returns not only with the frisbee but also a small flower. He hands it to me.

Me: Thank you.

Chas: You know why I do that.

Me: Why, Chas?

Chas: Because I love you.

Me: I know, Chas.

Chas: I love you more than Daddy does.

The father-son competition begins.

A few hours later, it is getting near time to take the children to choir. Chas has a cold which has gotten worse during the day. Alex decides he'll stay home with Chas.

Chas: I want to be with you, Mom.

Me: I know, but Daddy is staying home with you.

Chas: I am losing my love for you. It's getting little.

Alex and Meredith: (laughing)