Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Revealed by Fire

"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. " 1 Corithians 3:11-15

In the past when I thought of these verses I thought of Judgement Day when we stand before our Lord. He would look upon what we accomplished and focused on in life and reveal it's value. Did it further His kingdom which would stand for eternity or was it worldliness which will burn away?

By God's grace and mercy, He recently used this passage in my present life. He revealed wood, hay, and stubble I had invested in and considered as having value. It would not have withstood the fires or difficulties of life. It would have burned away and left nothing. Now I see the foolishness of that investment.
Also by God's grace and mercy, He revealed the gold, silver, and precious stones in my life I had taken for granted. My foolish investment caused a fire. The day declared those items precious, far more precious than I had realized.
How grateful I am for a loving Shepherd who protects His foolish lambs.