Monday, March 26, 2007

Our Garden

It's spring!

Getting a late start, but we are going to attempt to grow some vegetables!


After three years of contemplating, we finally decided to get our hands dirty. The problem has been there is not good, level, sunny spot in our backyard. So we had to think creatively. Our solution: window box gardening.

The boxes hang from our deck which is located off the kitchen. It's the perfect spot to make sure they are well tended and easily accessible.

After coming up with a plan, the kiddos and I headed to the nursery to pick up our seeds, plants, and soil. It was a little overwhelming. So many variety of plants and seeds! But we made our decisions and checked out.

The kids mixed up the soil. We are using the
Square Foot Gardening method for soil and planting. There are three boxes. One will be our herb box, one our lettuces, and the other carrots and onions with a tomato plant getting a pot to itself.

When it came time for planting the kids were busy with other activities so I transplanted, seeded, and watered.

The next morning, I heard Chas head to the deck. He came back in so excited.

"Daddy! Look! You gotta see! The plants Momma planted last night grew!"



He didn't realize they were transplants. I'm not an accomplished gardener, yet!

"He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate—bringing forth food from the earth." Ps 104:14