Friday, February 24, 2006

Change in Atmosphere

This past year we have been preparing for a major life change for our family. All my thoughts, actions, and reactions revolved around this one change. It has taken up a lot of my mental and physical time. Therefore, in the family area, I've been coasting.

Coasting doesn't work well for me. I am awful at "flying by the seat of my pants". We were accomplishing the minimal and I am not comfortable with the minimal, especially when raising my children. I've been reactive instead of proactive which eventually makes for a cranky mother which of course affects the whole family. (UGH! Why does it always come back to me?)


Recently, the Lord presented a problem which caused us to reevaluate this major change. We determined at this point in our lives, we need to continue on the path we are on rather than make this change. It was a relief. But the general edginess in our home continued.

It is so hard for me to deal with life when I am surrounded by it. I get caught up in the moment, the here and now, the circumstances. For me, I can see more clearly when I can step out of the situation and evaluate it from a distance.

This past weekend, we went away. We must have all been feeling the pressure because even our munchkins were giddy with excitement. It was a time to read, to pray, to think, to plan, and to play without the pressures of being and doing. It was just what we needed, just what I needed. On the last day, I pulled out my notebook and began planning on how to get this family back to where we needed to be.

When the trip ended and we were into our routine, it seemed right again. Everything just fell into place without much effort. Slowly I am implementing the plan. A spirit of peace and harmony has been regained, all because of a change in atmosphere.


"But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness to pray." Luke 5:16