Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sift Through the Confusion

A friend cornered me at a party. Her face was stressed and tired. “I really need to talk to you,” she said.

Trying to make light of what was appearing to be a serious conversation, I casually replied, “What’s up?”

“I have been wanting to talk to you,” she continued. “What do you think about Teflon? And what about probiotics?...”

ARRRRRGH!!! Not one of those conversations. I just knew she’d get to potatoes causing diabetes. But she didn’t. Must have missed that one.

I am a dietitian who has practiced for fourteen years. Early in my career I worked for a major medical university. The university has a nationally recognized nutrition department where I also did my training. Part of my position included overseeing the nutrition component of medical and/or pharmaceutical research studies.

Working with someone to improve their health or medical condition with diet is a thrill. But the most frustrating part of my profession is dealing with the nutrition related headlines the media uses to grab the public’s attention.

The media has made a habit of creating anxiety without regard to the validity of the claims. In regards to medical research, what the media fails to understand is, one study does not a fact make. The design, the subjects, controllable and uncontrollable factors are just a few of the components which can affect the outcome of a study. These components can also be manipulated to obtain the desired outcome.

Therefore, a body of evidence has to be gathered and reviewed. If the study can be duplicated by other researchers, then it can be considered as fact. Until that point, it should be considered with skepticism.

Unfortunately, the media’s habit of grabbing a story and running with it has left the public skeptical and leery of medical professionals. With the media’s interference in the process, research appears to contradict itself. Well, it does. But the medical profession does not bring research to the public unless it has withstood scrutiny and has been validated with repeated studies.

Don’t fall prey to the alarmist and follow every headline or catchy book title that is thrown out there. Healthy eating for the general, well public is common sense.

“But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.” 1 Timothy 4:1-3